Monday 27 February 2012

Sage

Sage has an extremely powerful flavour & can be used fresh or dried. It dries very well in the microwave.

Sage is a herb which can be combined with other herbs, eg thyme, rosemary, basil, sometimes mint or oregano to spice up roast chicken, lamb or pork. Use sage, thyme & beans in soups. Add sage to add flavour to potato & veg dishes. Sage blends well with mild cheeses: add to grilled cheese in a sandwich. It has a strong distinctive flavour so only a little is needed. Sage also freezes well; just pop it in an airtight bag and freeze for later use.

Try sage pesto instead of the more traditional italien pesto:

Blend 2 cups loosely packed sage leaves, half cup extra virgin oil, 2 tbsp (30ml) lemon zest, 2 tbsp slivered almonds (or almond paste) 1 tsp sugar, then refrigerate.

Italien pesto - recipe is within my Basil info post (click title to link)
Here is a link to one of my favourite recipes using sage from my Just Food blog, (click title to link)


Other blogs I have (click title to link):

Just puddings, cakes & treats:

My english springer spaniel dogtraining blog & worth a look articles I rate as interesting

I have contribued my dog training advice entry 1&2/11/11 on this blog I rate: “he keeps running & will not stop”:

No comments:

Post a Comment